The history of the establishment of the museum begins more than 100 years ago. On the 4th of January 1900, a few intellectuals from Suceava founded the Society ”Museum” with the purpose of maintenance and capitalization of the historical relics of the city for the public. This initiative appeared when, at the Princely Fortress of Suceava, cleaning operations of the ruins were carried out under the guidance of the architect Karl A. Romstorfer. On this occasion plenty of medieval objects were discovered. The wish for the discovered pieces to remain in Suceava determined the teacher Iosif Fleişer to propose the opening of a museum in Suceava, as branch of the Cernăuți museum.
The project with European funding A heritage building – museum for the third millenium meant the opening of a new stage in the existence of the museum of over one hundred years: the building was entirely modernized, the spaces for the public were extended, a new permanent exhibition which would comply with the requests of muzeography today was opened and the Princely Council Hall was significantly improved and received a new visual identity.